Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Setting expectations low

When I first moved to Texas, there was a guy in my branch who caught me saying some funny things. For months after, every time he saw me, he would say, "You're so funny! Say something funny." I would sit there trying to think of something to say, while also thinking, "I can't do it on command..." After several months of me saying nothing clever in his presence, he seemed to give up on my sharp wit, for which I was relieved.

I thought nothing more of that episode until a few days ago when I met the new sister missionaries that were transferred into our branch. They wanted to meet with me, since I am the RS pres, so I could tell them about people in the branch who may need their help. They asked me about myself, and everything I said made the greenie sister laugh really hard. I was on a roll! But I couldn't help thinking about that guy... Now every time I see her I will be trying to think of something witty to say, and will end up silent and dull. Oh well. I can always hope I'm wittier than I was then.

5 comments:

  1. it's always better to be quiet on first acquaintance...then they don't have high expectations for you in the future and anytime you are funny after that, they are pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. The problem for you is that expectations will ALWAYS be high, since you are naturally so smart, witty, and just generally awesome.

    Luckily, you always exceed even the highest expectations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you should do is when you're in the zone write a whole bunch of things down, then when people expect you to be funny on demand, bring out the notes and read what you wrote. This will probably end any and all expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your comments should arise chiefly from what is passing at the time. You could sometimes amuse yourself by writing down and arranging such little compliments and witty remarks as may be adapted to ordinary occasions, but try to give them as unstudied an air as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny Jo, I know you love being tagged so that's why I did it, check my blog!

    ReplyDelete