Friday, August 03, 2012

Birthday Countdown - 1 Week

In 7 days is my birthday, if you include today.  I will below list seven books I have enjoyed in the last year.  First, I have to mention that I have slowly become addicted to late 19th and early 20th century literature.  Especially British and humorous, detective, or both.  So.  PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie have taken up much of my reading for the past year with some American contemporaries and Sherlock Holmes thrown in.  On to the books:

1 Murder on the Orient Express - Awesome.  Everyone should read it, but I feel that they should read some other Poirot books first, to get to know the detective better.

Leave it to Psmith - Everything with the character Psmith is great.  Everything set at Blandings Castle is great.  Read all of them.  But this has both!

3 Death in the Clouds - This one proved to me the futility of trying to guess the villain in an Agatha Christie book.  I just can't do it.  It's too hard. 

4 E=mc2 - I like science.  'nuff said.  Also, it talks about some pretty awesome women throughout the history of the equation.

The Alloy of Law - I know it's crazy, but I liked it better than the Mistborn books.  Maybe it's because I was finally used to the metal based magic by this book, but I liked it and hope to see a sequel soon.  I also enjoyed Elantris, by the same author.

6 Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us - It made me think about different jobs that I've had and why they seemed so painful or not.

7 The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Lots of pictures.  I really liked it, and would recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

  1. This was a very random post - but I'll take it!

    I was surprised that you liked Drive enough to put it in your top 7 for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you'll be making fun lists all week. Did you ever read Dorothy Sayers? Early 20th century mysteries AND British. And with a whiff of Wodehousian comedy.

    I need to read the Orient Express and Leave it to Psmith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Dorothy Sayers!

    G - I never said those were my top 7 books, just 7 books I enjoyed. Top 7 would probably include too much of the same two authors to be enjoyable...

    ReplyDelete