Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Why I wear a jacket every day

Every day when I walk into my office, I put on my jacket. It is the middle of summer and to stay warm as I sit at my desk I need a jacket. I spend most of my time in a government building, and share an office with a person who has much different indoor climate views than I do.

Here is what I believe: In the summer a person should be able to comfortably go from a building to outdoors wearing the same clothes. In the winter a person should be able to comfortably wear winter clothes inside. Not a parka, but certainly a sweater.

I also believe that the US government spends too much money keeping its buildings warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If we raised thermostats a few degrees in the summer, how much would we save on cooling costs? If we lowered our thermostats in the winter, would the costs be worth it? I think they would. I have a dream that one summer day I will walk into my building and feel a slight change in temperature, instead of a blast of arctic air.

3 comments:

  1. maybe you should graduate and come get a job with me. in the summer, you don't notice that you are chilled until you go outside in the heat and realize how good it feels. Then it takes you the same amount of time to warm up as it does for the air conditioning in your car to cool down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I remember that being a big reason why I couldn't study in the HBLL...always WAY TOO COLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do agree. It's ridiculous how much money is wasted so I can wear a sweater inside in the summer. But it does make getting into my hot car a little more bearable. Thanks for bringing my comment total to an all time high of two!

    ReplyDelete