Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What do you do if you suspect your favorite roommate is a NM?~
By NM I am referring to Robert Kirby's Sunday of the Living Dead, the chapter on the kinds of mormons. You all know what kind I am referring to. It worries me slightly. I only get occasional glimpses of it, but they kinda frighten me. I would give examples, but what if she reads this? I guess she'd probably know it's her, anyway. The latest fright I received was on hearing of the evil nature of Twister. I thought at first that thinking of Twister as a game was just my sheltered upbringing coming out. It wasn't. When I realized that I had a hard time restraining myself from laughing aloud. Apparently it's very sexual in nature. Go figure. I thought it was about making a fool of yourself! Sometime I'll tell you how the subject even came up...so tell me! What do you do if you suspect your favorite roommate is a NM?
PS - Pray for me to finish my big long paper that I'm working on tonight!

7 comments:

  1. Wow I must be even more sheltered, as it were, than you are because I have no idea what NM is...

    So...I guess I don't know how to respond to that problem because I don't know what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe
    That's ok
    An NM is a Nazi Mormon. It's a funny book, you may enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...this makes sense to me (insofar as the word nazi and the word mormon can combine to give me a particular image.) Now I can give a better opinion.

    I am related to an NM, though she would deny it. The best you can do is continue to live your life the way you know you SHOULD and do your best to ignore the critical comments and attempts to change you that may come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I would need to hear some examples to tell you whether or not I agree with your diagnosis...
    From my experience, a lot of people are a NM in some way or another. I actually quite admire those that are able to maintain super high standards without making everyone around them feel they are looking down at them from their disney(ph?;))-only watching tower. I think that's nearly impossible, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new blog name :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe...this word verification is:
    troggd ...heh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twister is sexual in nature...

    ...if you think about sex when you play the game.

    So are a ton of "games" that are played at BYU.

    Just because she has a different perspective, doesn't mean she is a NM, or anything else. Now, if she told you that you should not play twister because it is sexual in nature, that would be different from her telling you that she didn't play or like twister because [in her mind] it is sexual in nature. Since I wasn't there for the conversation, I don't know, but I would say, allow her to be herself without judging whether she is NM, and hopefully she will do the same for you (who _______ (insert something here you feel strongly about but she doesn't).

    ReplyDelete