Sunday, October 11, 2009

pets = stress

This week Walter was very sick. I got worried. Thursday night I was worried I would have no puppy the next morning. Here's the whole story. Tuesday morning (2 am-ish) I woke up to Walter whining. Turns out he had vomited in his crate!. It was gross, but I was able to clean it up pretty easily. He continued to throw up throughout the morning and got weaker and weaker as the day wore on. By 9am, he would just lie there forlornly, and no amount of coaxing would help him. I ended up taking him to the vet and they decided they needed to do a very expensive x-ray. That, coupled with blood tests, and the actual visit, meant that I had to shell out a lot of money. I was not pleased, but I figured that if the puppy got better, it would be worth it.

They gave me some antibiotics for him and sent me on my way. I was slightly annoyed, because it seemed like he was already getting better. He kept vomiting (or wommitin...), but seemed to be getting better. The next morning he was excited for his food! That was the last time he ate for two days. Thursday I was a bit freaked and had a pit in my stomach all day. The puppy seemed to have some energy, but he wouldn't eat, and he still threw up a couple of times. Friday morning I finally took him to the vet clinic I had wanted to go to in the first place. They checked him out, gave him some saline and vitamin shots and some special food and sent us on our way (they also didn't charge me much, a little less than 1/4 what the other place charged). By Friday afternoon he was pretty perky. By yesterday evening he was so puppyish he was hard to control. I realize there are perks to a subdued puppy, but I am very happy for energetic Walter to be back!

2 comments:

  1. you weren't the only one with a pit...I don't know how I'll ever survive having children.

    ReplyDelete