Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Time Flies~
It's been a very, very long time since I've posted. But now I'm just stating the obvious.

I just spent a week with my 86-year-old grandmother and sometimes it wasn't easy. One of the most trying things, though, was not helping my grandma to get dressed. The worst was not having the internet!!!

I felt totally cut off from the rest of the world. Even my cell phone did not help me. I have to come to grips with the fact that I am addicted to the internet. I thought moving home for the summer and not having wireless was bad. That's nothing. So what if I can't blog from my bed? At least I still work on campus and can use the high-speed internet there. In a pinch, I can always use the parents' dial-up (the horror). Just give me the internet!!

This need to stay connected has made me wonder about an article I read a long time ago saying that this generation is not at all independent, not being able to be separated from their fancy new-fangled communications devices. I think they're right, although at the time I felt like I was an exception because I didn't have a cell phone. I felt totally lost without my internet fix. No emailing, no blogging, no online news stations with fascinating Asian human interest stories. Where else are you going to read about a Japanese town having a radish cloned because it showed such great bravery?

4 comments:

  1. I will ignore the obvious misspelling (partly because now it will drive you crazy until you find it and fix it :), and say, I want to read about the radish! Brave little radish...See, even a radish can overcome its tendency to be a spectator. Anyway, I agree that it can be a pain to not have the internet. But the key is to realize that you won't before you go somewhere, and make the decision that you won't care about it until you get back. Try it. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah!!
    You were right, I went insane. Let that be a lesson to all of you out there. Always spell check!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bog. Before I left for Baltimore I had anticipated that though I would have my computer, I would not have internet. And lo and behold, I did not for much of the time. Certainly I could use my friends computer but for the most part I was not tied to the computer as I used to be because I had anticipated that I wouldn't have the access I normally had.

    As for the wired generation, eh, so be it. Things happen as they happen. Maintain the proper, eternal perspective and things will work out the way they should. And as someone wiser than me once said, "don't sweat the small stuff..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, how did you survive in Europe? I know you had some internet access but it was pretty limited, wasn't it? -Just like grandma's. I think the difference is that you were kinda (or very) bored at grandma's but you weren't while on tour in europe. So, it seems the key is to keep yourself busy with other things so you don't sit there wishing you had the internet to play on.
    or, as I'm discovering, spend SO much time online for your job that you absolutely abhor the thought of it and want to get away... ;)

    ReplyDelete